Fish farming installation
Smart Farmers builds systems for indoor and outdoor fish farming. A smart design for your aquaculture installation with proper monitoring and ease of use, will ensure performing results. Varieties of fish breeds require different temperature, oxygen, amount of fish, flows etc.
Smart Farmers will take into consideration all parameters in an efficient design to allow you to ensure fish well-being and productivity. It allows for efficient farming with complete control.
What does a fish farm render?
- Yields: 20-50 kg of fish/m3, depending on the breed
- Main operational costs: fish feed, fry and energy.
- Important parameters: dissolved oxygen (DO), temperature, PH, flows and type of filters
- Time to growth of fish: 6-12 months, cohorts shift according to size.
INSTALLATION OF INDOOR GROWING OF MICROGREENS AND HERBS
Is LED farming or vertical farming profitable? Yes, when you use steered LED lighting for growing microgreens or cress. Smart Farmers has been pioneering with LED lighting for vertical farming since 2015. We have experienced that optimal results can be obtained by selecting the correct light spectrum, light intensity and a correct monitoring of all production parameters. Vertical farming requires an initially important investment, but has a proven return on investment thanks to the stable production environment.
Vertical farming or indoor farming is not only interesting in terms of production but also in terms of research and development. Smart Farmers can build your growth chamber or climate chamber at very competitive prices.
What does a vertical farm or LED farm render?
In the example below you will discover the yields and costs of a vertical farm with microgreens in 6 layers. Ground surface is 30 m3, corresponding to a large freight container.
- Yields: 155.000 portions a year Important costs: seeds, electricity, (bio-degradable) packaging and transport
- Important parameters LED: light spectrum, light intensity and periodicity of lighting
- Other parameters: temperature, humidity, CO2 and EC
- Growth period microgreens: a couple of days
- Growth period herbs and lettuce- and other salad plants: 4-5 weeks
AQUAPONICS INSTALLATION AND COUPLING AQUACULTURE AND HORTICULTURE
Aquaponics concerns fish farming and crop farming in one single ecosystem. You can start your own aquaponics farm and grow two or more crops in one system. You could also extend your activities and couple your existing fish farm a system for vegetable farming. This will allow for re-usage and efficient use of water and farming without manure residues. It also allows for balancing energy and heat.
Smart Farmers build both coupled and non-coupled aquaponics systems. The latter allow for more ease of business in our experience.
- Yields fish: 20-50 kg fish per m3, 6-12 months per cohort, system of cohort shifting
- Yields herbs/lettuce: 200 units/m2/year
- Main costs: fish feed, fry, seedlings, packaging, transport and energy
- Important parameters: in addition to typical parameters for fish and plant farming, correct dimensioning and remineralisation of residual flows are important
- Growth period fish: 6-12 months, cohorts are shifted along according to growth
COUPLING RESIDUAL FLOWS FOR FOOD PRODUCTION
Aquaponic, hydroculture and aquaculture installations require heat, energy and feed or nutrients. In tomorrow’s circular economy professional farmers connect to residual flows of neighbours, industry or the city. Smart Farmers is exploring possibilities with its partner Aquafin to use filtered waste waters to grow fish and crops in aquaponics, aquaculture and hydroculture. Smart and efficient use of water is the only way to produce successfully in a world with growing water stress.
Would you like to learn more about possibilities, yields and costs of above mentioned installation? Visit our demo-installation. We are happy to answer all your questions and explore possibilities. We can support you with training and advice, both operationally as commercially.